Monday, November 29, 2004

Jon Stewart is not stupid

Disclaimer: I realize I owe you a second story about the dentist. I’ve been trying to write it, but frankly, I’m not that interested in it right now. So you’ll have to wait.

Back in the day, the Doktah and I used to watch clips from The Daily Show on comedycentral.com. We used to watch during lunch. Yeah. During lunch.

Anyway, one time we were watching with Smelly Lunch Guy. (So nicknamed because he used to buy very, um, “aromatic” lunches and throw out the refuse in the lab trash which only got picked up twice a week. I don’t know what it was that he ate, but my best guess would be skunk.) The clip that we watched that day was from an episode with a guest host filling in for Jon Stewart. This was the second or third day in a row with a guest host, and they couldn’t quite fill Jon Stewart’s shoes. Apparently, Smelly Lunch Guy felt the same way.

“I don’t like these guest hosts,” he said. “They’re stupid. Not like Jon Stewart; he’s not stupid. The other people are stupid, but Jon Stewart is not stupid.” He appeared to be really struggling to put his complex thoughts into words, but that was all he could come up with. “The guest hosts are stupid. They’re not like Jon Stewart. Jon Stewart is not stupid.” Over and over again, with longer and longer pauses as he searched for the perfect adjective. “I like Jon Stewart better, because he’s not… stupid. But the guest hosts are… stupid.”

So there you have it. But I can’t think of a way to end this that is not… stupid.

No comments: