Sunday, March 26, 2006

How big a nerd were you?

When I was in the seventh grade, I sat on my glasses while getting ready for school and snapped the arm right off. I suffered through the day with a pair of glasses that were a prescription out of date, and my mom took me to the eyeglasses store right after school. Unfortunately, the store no longer stocked my particular style of glasses, so they were unable to replace the broken arm with one that matched my glasses.

Here’s the thing. I was due for an eye examination in about three weeks, so buying an entirely new pair of glasses would have been foolish, because I would probably get a new prescription from the eye doctor. The only other option was to replace the broken arm of my thin, light beige frames with a thick brown arm – the closest match they had in the store. Since my parents weren’t made of money, this was the option we had to choose, and I was stuck sporting a thick, dark brown arm on my pair of thin, beige glasses for three weeks. In the seventh grade.

Now, I’m not saying that having to wear extremely dorky, temporarily-repaired glasses in the seventh grade made me a nerd. What made me a nerd was that I was in the seventh grade, and I didn’t care that I had to wear extremely dorky, temporarily-repaired glasses. Because nerds are very practical people.

No comments: