Friday, March 02, 2007

This is not the number you are looking for

Ring. Ring.

"Target baby department, may I help you?"

"Yes, I'm trying to find a Fisher-Price high chair that the Fi-"

"Hold on, I'll check and see if we have one."

...

"Yes, we have a few in stock."

"But you left before I could tell you which model I was looking for."

"Oh, OK. Which model?"

"I'm looking for the 'Easy Clean' high chair. The Fisher-Price website says they make one of the patterns exclusively for Target, but I can't find it on the Target website."

"Do you have the model number?"

"Yes, it's 'J24-'"

"No, it should start with three numbers, like '002.'"

"I don't have a number like that. The model number starts with 'J.'"

"No, it should start with a '002.' It usually at the bottom of the item description on the website."

"But I said I can't find it on the Target website; I can only find it on the Fisher-Price website."

"Oh. Well, if you add it to your cart, the number I need should be right next to the description."

"No, you don't understand. I can't find it on the Target website. I only have the Fisher-Price model number, and I just wanted to know if you have it in the store even if it's not on the website."

"OK, I just need a '002' number to check the stock. Do you have a '002' number?"

"No, I don't have that number. You see, I'm just trying to find out if you have this specific model because the Fisher-Price website says that they make it exclusively for Target."

"Well I can check the stockroom if you give me the item number. It should start with a '002.'"

"But I don't have - OK. I guess you don't carry it. Thank you."

"Thanks for calling Target."

Ring. Ring.

"Fisher-Price, can I help you?"

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I'm trying to decide if a conversation like that is more or less frustrating than not ever getting to talk to a person at all, but being endlessly cycled through phone trees.

At least a phone tree isn't SUPPOSED to have human intelligence...