Wednesday, October 24, 2007

One year

A lot can happen in a year. Heck, a lot can happen in six months, as evidenced by my experiences from July to December, 2003, when I had my appendix out, got evicted, moved twice, wrote my thesis, got married, moved again, and defended my thesis to earn my Ph.D.

But the events of 2003 do not hold a candle to what has happened to our family since October 24, 2006, because that was the day Jack joined me and The Husband here on the outside. It's almost impossible to understand that the toddler currently doing laps around the dining room table is the same being that lay his little head down on my chest that October night. He wasn't crying, he was just gazing up at me with his huge blue eyes as if to say, "Hi. Who are you? I'm hungry." And life hasn't been the same since.

So happy birthday, Jack. You're going to love cake.


Jack: Year One from Maureen on Vimeo.

Music: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Idea for video: Stolen from Amalah

12 comments:

Nessa said...

Maureen, he's beautiful. I love those eyes! Hope year two is better and brighter Jack!

Anonymous said...

wow. He's absolutely gorgeous.

Happy birthday, Jack!

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say happy birthday to Jack! He really does the the most gorgeous eyes.

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Happy birthday, Jack!

(Also, Camilla was mesmerized by this video, and kept dancing and bouncing and grinning while we watched it. That arranged marriage might be in their future, assuming Jack doesn't decide to become pope.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jack! and thank you so much for sharing that - what a lovely, lovely baby!!!!

Anonymous said...

oops..that was me !

~laura

Anonymous said...

Dammit, my comment from yesterday didn't register! SUCK!

Maureen, thanks for making me totally cry in front of my mom and Asher. Like, heaving sobbing crying. That was an awesome video. I LOVE THAT SONG.

And Jack, Happy Birthday one day late (I suck). Don't ever forget that you have the most amazing mom in the whole world. Where would I be without her?

Becca said...

How wonderful! I clicked over from Mom's Daily Dose... I'm an engineering grad student too and my little boy will be one on Nov 2. Spooky! Loved the video.

Anonymous said...

Sniffle..great video! Your boy is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

the squirmy little dancing feet got me, but i think my favorite was when you would give him the blanket and the stuffed animals, and he had to smoosh his face into them immediately...you know, probably just to make sure you had given him the right one.

Anonymous said...

I can't decide if spitting out the peas is my favorite or the wobbly learning to walk. So sweet.

Maxine Dangerous said...

LOVE the face plant in the blanket and stuffed animals and his standing on the wee toes to look at stuff. So cute! :)