Wednesday, December 08, 2004

It's nice to see... anything

I wear glasses. And if it weren’t for the miracle of plastic, they’d be pretty thick glasses. The Doktah, however, didn’t wear glasses. She had 20/20 vision; I had 20/400. Needless to say, I was jealous. Naturally, she bragged and bragged about her perfect vision all the time.

Then she started getting headaches whenever she sat at her computer, and then the headaches started getting worse. After a week or two of blinding headaches, she decided to go to the eye doctor, and she came back with a prescription for glasses to wear while at the computer.

“Ah-ha!” I said. “How’s your perfect vision now?”

“Oh, I still have perfect vision,” she replied. “I just have to wear glasses when I use the computer, or I get a blinding headache.” The thing is, she was quite serious. She truly thought that she still had perfect vision, blinding headaches notwithstanding.

It took The Doktah awhile to get used to the idea of having to wear glasses. She did have perfect vision, after all. So for the first few weeks of the new glasses, she would forget to wear them, use the computer, and develop a blinding headache. “Man!” she would think to herself. “What is the matter with my head?” And then she would remember, and she would put on her glasses.

Eventually we worked up a flow chart for her to follow for when she had a blinding headache. Because, as I believe I have mentioned, engineers like to chart things.



The headache flowchart Posted by Hello

No comments: