Thursday, August 25, 2005

While we’re on the subject, I also have a “being repeatedly kicked in the leg” thing

One day I was just sitting at my desk, and The Doktah came up behind me and stuck her finger in my ear. Just like that. No warning, no precedent. One second I was merrily typing away, the next second I had her finger in my ear. Needless to say, I was startled.

“What the – what are you doing?!” I shouted as I jerked my head away.

“What?” The Doktah said. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t know you have an ear thing.”

An ear thing? Now, I readily admit that I have a pigeon thing. I also have a dog thing and a bug thing, and I should tell you that The Doktah knew that I don’t like people to touch my ankles, which may qualify as an ankle thing. But it was a bit rich for to claim I have “an ear thing” because I am uncomfortable with people sticking their fingers in my ear!

After I regained my composure, I explained to The Doktah that in polite society, it is generally considered rude to insert one’s finger – or any other object – into someone else’s ear. Apparently, The Doktah had thought that such a gesture was just an acceptable method of teasing among friends. It seems that her older sisters used to torture her in all kinds of creative ways, and she never got a good handle on what was off-limits.

Eventually, we established that, rather than my having “an ear thing,” The Doktah just has an “extremely tolerant of aberrant behavior in others” thing. So if you meet her, feel free to stick your finger in her ear.

No comments: