Friday, September 01, 2006

Hello, my baby, hello, my honey, hello, my ragtime gal

I have finally come up with a name for the baby in utero. The Doktah had wanted me to call him/her “Cletus the Fetus,” but that didn’t stick for some reason. However, last night, when The Husband missed seeing the baby roll over in my belly for about the millionth time, I came upon the perfect nickname. Michigan J. Frog. Because this kid moves, kicks, rolls, and pokes me in the ribs all the livelong day, stopping only when anyone else tries to see or feel the action. Two nights ago, while The Husband and I were watching TV, our conversation went like this:

ME: Look! Now!

BABY: (holds still)

HUSBAND: (looks, sees nothing, gives up, looks away)

BABY: (does cartwheel)

ME: Now! Now!

BABY: (stops moving)

HUSBAND: (looks, sees nothing, gives up, looks away)

BABY: (tap dances)

ME: QUICK! LOOK!

BABY: (halts)

HUSBAND: (looks, sees nothing) I think you’re making this up.

So, Michigan J. Frog it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found you from a comment you left on Arwen's blog. I'm the "Tracy" in her blogroll, btw.
Anyway, I glanced at your blog and was instantly hooked. My husband has a Ph.D. in engineering, and I have also been in grad school (not engineering), and I kept having to read things to him, which kept us in stitches. He's in the beginning of year 4 of being Professor Husband, which still cracks us up after so many years of part-time schooling (he worked full time and went to school - we had babies already and wanted me at home with them.)

Anyway, I have read the entire archives now - it took me a bit of time, but then I just sat here for I don't know how long and finished up. I should be asleep.

And then I read this entry and started laughing again. I remember Michigan J. Frog! That's such a perfect name.