Thursday, October 05, 2006

I’d love to keep talking to you, but I think I need to get some Fresh Air right now

A couple of friends of mine from the med school had an annual wine and cheese party at their apartment. While making small talk at one of these parties, I met someone who worked for WHYY, the local NPR station.

“Are you kidding? That is so awesome!” I exclaimed. “Have you met any famous people?”

He smiled, and said, “Yeah, people always ask me that, because Fresh Air is produced here. In fact, Matt Damon was on the show just last week, and – ”

“Yes, yes, Matt Damon, very exciting,” I said. “But what is Terry Gross like? How about Carl Kasell? Have you ever met him? Peter Sagal? Oh! Oh! Have you ever met Ira Glass?” A strange expression came over my new friend’s face and he started glancing around the room, as if looking for a savior.

“Oh, my favorite show is definitely Wait Wait – Don’t Tell Me. Of course, I try never to miss This American Life.” I babbled on, and he started edging towards the door, but I followed him. “My favorite episode of This American Life is the one with the Squirrel Cop, I think. How about you?”

“Uh, I don’t really – ” he said.

“Oh, and man, that Car Talk. Those guys crack me up. Hey, did you ever hear that show Rewind? It doesn’t play here, but you can listen to it online. They once did a parody where they had Ira Glass filling in for Click and Clack on Car Talk. It was hilarious.”

“Oh?” he said. “Yeah, that sounds really – ”

“I even like You Bet Your Garden, and I don’t garden!” I told him.

“Gee, that’s great,” he said. “Oh, hey, there’s someone I know! Bye!” and he took off.

Was it something I said?

No comments: