Tuesday, October 10, 2006

No need to water

This weekend, we replaced the dead plants on the porch with some pumpkins with painted faces. They are shellacked and everything, so I had no qualms about taking them home to be under my care. (Sometimes, when I buy plants, I think I can hear them screaming. “Nooooo! Don’t let me go home with Mo! I’m doomed! Doooooooomed!)

I moved the dead impatiens aside, and put the pumpkins on the plant stands. Then, as I picked up the impatiens to clear them away, The Husband asked me, half-jokingly, if I was going to put them in the side yard with the other plants I had killed.

“Of course,” I said, and placed them carefully down next to the porch where they will be out of sight from passers-by, but where they will serve as a grim message to the botanical world that we don’t stand for any flower-flak here at the Grad Lab Adventures household. If a plant can’t water itself, that plant is not welcome here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are there plants that can water themselves??? I thought you, an scientifical type, might know.

I like to garden. But the only houseplants that have stayed alive in my house are the ugly jade plant given to me by my MIL and the huge nondescript leafy plant given to my husband by an EX-GIRLFRIEND. You have no idea how many times I have tried to kill that plant, but it will not die.