Tuesday, January 02, 2007

We don’t expect to be offered a cooking show any time soon

The Husband went grocery shopping yesterday, and bought whole grain tortilla chips. We had them at dinner with salsa which led to a discussion of salt content, as the whole grain chips are much saltier than regular tortilla chips – probably because whole grain is less tasty than processed corn. We compared the milligrams of salt in the two types of chips, and then The Husband read the ingredients on the salsa jar.

“Oh, so that’s why my homemade salsa never tastes like store bought. I don’t put any salt in my salsa, and this jar has 125 mg of sodium per serving,” he said. Then he added, “I wonder how much salt is equivalent to 125 mg of sodium.”

“That’s right,” I said, “because salt weighs more than sodium.”

“But we could figure it out,” replied The Husband. “It’s a simple calculation, after all.”

I considered this. “Sure, but we’d have to get a scale because most recipes call for volumes of salt, and we don’t know how much a teaspoon of salt weighs.”

“True,” said The Husband. “And we couldn’t use the density to convert it because salt is crystalline, so a teaspoon wouldn’t be uniformly dense.”

“Good point,” I said. Then I paused, and added, “You realize I’m going to have to blog this conversation.”

“I understand,” said The Husband

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I don't think we can be friends anymore. Although this conversation could be had on Good Eats? Maybe? Alton's all nerdy-like.

S. said...

OMG, this is such a conversation that I can imagine my brother and his wife http://ourfirstyeartogether.blogspot.com/
having.