Wednesday, September 20, 2006

But unicorns are real, right?

I just had lunch with Brother-in-law #3. We ate on the roof of my lab building, and after we were finished, Brother-in-law #3 admired the view. “I think I can see my house from here,” he remarked.

“Yeah, I think that dome is the Greek Orthodox church near your house,” I replied.

He thought for a minute, estimating the distance between my lab and his house, and then asked, “Do you think that if you had a jet-pack you’d be able to make it to that church?”

I stared at him for a second. “Well, since jet-packs aren’t real, sure. Why not?”

“What? They’re not real?” he exclaimed.

“Nope.”

“But I’ve seen them!” he said.

“In movies? And cartoons?” I asked. He admitted this was the case.

Oh, how we laughed at his foolishness. How silly he was. “Well, I’m glad I made this mistake in front of you and not at a job interview or something,” he said.

I told him I would have to blog about it. “That’s fair,” he said.

Guess what? They’re totally real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's so unassuming, isn't he? On another note, that'll teach you to contradict him. He's a smartie.